Implementation of Genomic Selection in small dairy cattle populations
Start Date: 01 November 2016
End Date: 01 October 2019
- To develop an action plan for the implementation of genomic selection in the herds of Holstein-Friesian breed - the case of a small HF population in Slovenia
- Genotyping of HF male and female animals with the aim of discovery genetic defects (e.g. CVM, BLAD...), genetic features (RC, kappa caseins, lactoglobulins, ...), inbreeding estimates, parentage verification, ...
- To establish a reference population for the Holstein-Friesian population in Slovenia on the base of bulls and cows
- The possibility of cooperation with InterGenomics-Holstein - for the international comparison of genomically tested bulls.
- UL – Biotechnical Faculty, Dept. of Animal Science (coordinator)
- ≈125 farmers with HF cows (farmers with HF bull dams)
- Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry of Slovenia – Department for Performance Recording and Breeding (technical support, milk recording data)
- Agricultural Institute of Slovenia (Herdbook data, MR data)
- Slovenian Holstein Association
Ministry of Agriculture Forest and Food, Slovenian Holstein Association, Slovenian Research Agency (ARRS)
University of Ljubljana (UL), Biotechnical Faculty, Department of Animal Science, Groblje 3, 1230 Domžal Dr. Marija Klopčič - Klopcic@bf.uni-lj.si