Animal welfare and societal needs
How animals are cared for is of paramount importance for European consumers. Two important challenges related to animal care are of growing concern to the dairy industry. Firstly, the ability of fully housed systems to meet good standards for health, welfare and opportunity to express normal behaviour. This has led to pressure for animals to be given access to pasture, which may also bring negative trade-offs in terms of animal welfare and environmental impact.
By sharing knowledge and experience in the design and management of dairy cattle housing and grazing systems, good practice will be disseminated across Europe. Secondly this topic on animal care is all about human perception and societal needs. The objective is to improve aspects of animal care with particular relevance to animal welfare and societal needs.
Within the EuroDairy network many activities will be organised on this ‘accelarator of (ex)change’ in the dairy sector. Here an overview of everything you’ve missed so far!
– Reducing pressures on the food, key to reduction of lameness (UK/New Zealand): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVL5ND6GLs&feature=youtu.be.
– Dry cow threatment of the high production cow. Swedish spesialist in dry cow threatment gave a webinar with newest insights on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZpZtwW9a3A&feature=youtu.be.
– Hoof health management. In Birmingham (England) EuroDairy consortium members gave a good and brief webinar on this special topic of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWixX57j7l0&feature=youtu.be.
– Compost bedded pack farms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBTLwNXvCuU
– Opportunities and challenges in calf housing and management for the next decade by Nina von Keyserligk. If you were unable to join this webinar or would like to view the content again, you can watch the video recordings here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VTutrVA-rk&feature=youtu.be
– A dutch film (translated into English) about alternative housing sysems. Could so called Free Walk barns be an alternative housing system for dairy cows? See the video with English subtitles see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgPc7C659xI.
– New solutions to bedded pack and compost barns. Read all presentations and reports from this technical workshop in Lille (France): https://eurodairy.eu/eurodairy-shows-new-solutions-bedded-pack-compost-barns-lille/.
– Dairy cattle welfare assessment (during IDF 2017 in Belfast): https://eurodairy.eu/dairy-cattle-welfare-assessment-keeping-practical/. New tools for farmers welfare assessments UK: https://eurodairy.eu/764-2/.