Welfare assessments tools to use on farm
EuroDairy UK partner AHDB has a number of welfare assessment tools for farmers to use as part of their management.
These tools are available for assessing leg swelling, hair loss and lesions, cleanliness and body condition and are available here.
Welfare assessments can be used to:
- Assess the level of welfare achieved for an individual animal, farm or farm assurance scheme (e.g. Red Tractor)
- Help improve farm assurance standards
- Identify and monitor welfare problems and solutions on a farm
- Strengthen farm management through self-assessment, feedback and benchmarking
- Provide more reliable and direct assurance of animal welfare throughout the food chain, including to consumers